Frequently Asked Questions - FAQs

The following questions and answers are based on the regulations on higher education announced by the OEAD, the recommendations of the KUG and previous experience with mobility in general and Covid-19 measures in particular.

Last updated: October 2020

Questions about COVID-19 that affect mobility

!! Nota bene: All important information about Erasmus+ stays during the COVID-19 pandemic can also be found on the OEAD website here and here. !!

Here is a selection of the most important questions:

1. Can I currently do an Erasmus+ stay?
Yes, you can start your planned Erasmus+ stay and it will also be funded, provided the sending university and the host institution agree to it. However, you bear the final responsibility.

2. Where can I find information about COVID-19?
If you have any questions about compulsory school attendance, the running of the schools, universities and exams, call 0800 21 65 95. For more information, visit the Ministry's website. For questions about art and culture, call the culture hotline: 01 53115 - ext. 202 555 (Monday to Friday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.) or send an email. Further information is available from the Federal Ministry for Social Affairs, Health, Care and Consumer Protection.

3. What do I do if I get sick? Whom can I contact?
If you show symptoms (e.g. fever, coughing, sore throat and breathlessness) and fear that you are suffering from COVID-19, please stay at home and contact the health advice service on 1450. A COVID-19 illness should be reported via email corona(at) If you have general questions about COVID-19, please contact the AGES Coronavirus hotline: 0800 555 621 // Information sheet "Illness and emergency" (Available in German only)

4. Do I have health insurance? What do I do when I need to see a doctor?
You must take care of your own insurance cover during your stay abroad in Austria. Please check with your current insurance company. For more information, see OEAD - Insurance for Mobility Programs and OEAD - General Information - Health Insurance (in German only). You can find information from the KUG on health care here. We would also like to make you aware of the FeelSafe Insurcane: a private insurance for students abroad.

5. As an incoming student, do I have to terminate my stay if a new wave of infections breaks out?
Should a new wave break out, it is still your decision whether or not to travel back home. In any case, please note the information on travel warnings, travel restrictions, etc. on the website of the Austrian Foreign Ministry - exit regulations. For questions about travel, contact the consumer advocacy group of Austria (Verein für Konsumentenschutz) - free hotline: 0800 201211 (daily, also on weekends, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.)

6. Can I continue and / or complete courses if I have to go back to my home country due to COVID-19?
Please contact your lecturers, the International Office and your home university and let them know that you will be traveling home but would still like to complete the courses. Before you leave the country, you will also receive a document called "Confirmation of Stay", which you must collect from the International Office. The shortened length of stay will then be confirmed there.

7. I want to terminate my semester at my host university, what can I do?
Please note that the Erasmus+ grant is only paid for the duration of the physical stay on site. However, you could interrupt your stay abroad; the time of interruption would not count. The minimum duration for study visits is three months, for internships two months. If the minimum duration cannot be adhered to due to the corona pandemic, the stays will remain eligible.

8. I cannot start my trip because there is a travel warning for my host country. Some time later, however, the travel warning is lifted. Can I be nominated later?
Yes. You can be nominated later, however, the following must be observed:

  1. The nomination must be made no later than 14 days before the start of the stay.
  2. The Erasmus unit must be informed of the subsequent nomination by email.
  3. The reason for the subsequent nomination must be given in the e-mail to the Erasmus department "Cancellation of the travel warning by the BMEIA on".

9. I cannot travel to the host country, but would like to complete my entire stay in the form of e-learning / teleworking. Is that possible?
If you would like to receive Erasmus+ funding, no. If courses are completed via e-learning outside the host country, no funding can be given. Students then do not receive a grant and the universities do not receive any OS funds for it. You will not be issued a grant agreement.

10. I suffer from mental health problems. Whom can I contact?
To do this, contact the psychological student advice center // telephone number: +43 316 814748. Here there are tips for dealing with Corona.

11. What do I have to pay attention to when practicing and using the practice rooms?
Note the letter from the ÖH (in German only). Here you can see a video on how to clean a piano with soapy water.

12. Where can I book a practice room?
Practice rooms are booked via KUGonline. Instructions can be found here.

13. Do I have to be registered when I come to university?
Depending on the current COVID-19 situation, you have to register in advance when you enter a KUG building. Please note the information on the KUG website. If you are at the university for the first time, you must also sign the currently valid safety regulations.

14. OUTGOING: How long does my Erasmus+ stay have to be in order to receive funding?
The minimum duration for Erasmus+ study visits is three months, for internships two months. It is recommended that these minimum periods also be adhered to during the corona pandemic. A shortening is possible under certain circumstances.


Questions during the application

1. I am currently studying for a bachelor's degree and I already know that I want to go abroad for my master. When can I apply?
You can apply as early as your bachelor's degree but keep in mind that partner universities can request a bachelor's certificate when applying.

2. Can I hand in an application for a Non-EU Student Exchange Program although I already completed an ERASMUS+ stay?
Yes. An application is possible. You don't have any disadvantages!

3. What should I pay attention to when applying?
High-quality application documents and a bit of luck: You should provide written evidence of your linguistic and academic qualifications, explain your motivation for your planned study visit and convince with very good application videos. Of course, the final acceptance also depends on the number of applications at the partner university, which can vary considerably not only from year to year but also from semester to semester. You can increase your chances of being accepted for an Erasmus+ stay by applying to up to three universities at the same time. The final acceptance should be based on academic motives.

4. Do I need to speak German?
The language of instruction is German (level B2). However, it is possible to receive some advice and guidance in English. For attending courses in music theory, music history, music education or other courses where oral explanations are essential, good German knowledge is required (level B2). In research projects the language will be agreed upon between teachers and students. Then it is possible to use the English langauge (level B2 will be required).

Questions about the nomination

1. By when do I have to be nominated as a student in the 2020/2021 academic year?
The main nomination deadlines for study visits in winter semester 2020/2021 are July 15, 2020 and August 31, 2020 (stays from October onwards). As usual, the deadlines for nominations for internships are the 1st and 15th of each month (14-day lead time). For further nomination deadlines, please refer to the guidelines for Erasmus+ mobility within the program countries. Further information can be found on the OEAD website here (in German only).


Questions during the stay abroad

Implementation of Erasmus + mobility projects in higher education in the context of COVID-19

1. I would like to take part in e-learning courses at my host university. What do I have to consider?
Please note that your presence at the location of the host institution must be confirmed by a confirmation from the host university or other suitable evidence. After the end of your stay, submit the confirmation of stay to the responsible Erasmus office.

2. Do I receive funding for e-learning courses at the host institution?
Yes. E-learning at the location of the host institution is funded, provided you can confirm your stay with the host institution (confirmation of arrival, confirmation of stay). If for whatever reason you do not receive a confirmation, you can provide other supporting documents (travel documents, confirmation of registration, etc.). This is also possible if the entire stay is completed in the form of e-learning or teleworking. Of course, the e-learning courses are assessed with ECTS credits if these courses are part of the Erasmus+ Learning Agreement.

3. Suppose I have to cancel my guest stay in my host country due to a stronger Covid-19 outbreak. What do I have to consider?
Covid-19- has been classified as a case of force majeure by the European Commission. If you have to leave your host country, you can submit the costs incurred due to "force majeure" to the National Agency. Attention: The classification as a case of force majeure due to Covid-19 is only possible in the event of a travel warning (security level 5 and 6) from the Austrian Foreign Ministry for your host country or the region in which your host institution is located, or if you cancel your stay due to Covid 19 measures cannot be continued (e.g. in the event of company closings). You should therefore always observe the travel warnings and travel restrictions on the website of the Austrian Foreign Ministry -